WHAT IS ORGANIC AGRICULTURE?
Organic agriculture is a production system that sustains the health of soils, ecosystems and people. It relies on ecological processes, biodiversity and cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of inputs with adverse effects. Organic agriculture is also known as organic farming. Organic farming is an alternative agricultural system which originated early in the 20th century in reaction to rapidly changing farming practices. Certified organic agriculture accounts for 70 million hectares globally, with over half of that total in Australia.
What are the benefits of organic agriculture?
Air and climate change. Organic agriculture reduces non-renewable energy use by decreasing agrochemical needs (these require high quantities of fossil fuel to be produced). Organic agriculture contributes to mitigating the greenhouse effect and global warming through its ability to sequester carbon in the soil.
What are the basic principles of organic agriculture?
The four principles of organic agriculture are as follows:
- Principle of health. Organic Agriculture should sustain and enhance the health of soil, plant, animal, human and planet as one and indivisible.
- Principle of ecology.
- Principle of fairness.
- Principle of care.
What are the advantages of organic?
- Organic farming is better for the environment.
- Organic farming practices reduce pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, and use less energy. Farming without pesticides is also better for nearby birds and animals as well as people who live close to farms.
World’s 6 Largest Organic Markets
*Stats based on 2016 data
Global Organic Market Important Facts
- The global organic food market is worth USD 82 BN.
- There are 2.4 million organic producers worldwide.
- India has the most organic producers: 585,200.
- Switzerland has the highest per capita spending on organic: USD 286.
- Australia has the largest organic agricultural area: 22.7 million hectares.
- 179 countries now have organic farming.
Certifications and Affiliates
- HACCP Verified
- Certified Organic through Ecocert SA
- USA FDA Registered